Decorating your home

You do not need our permission to decorate your home. You can paint it or wallpaper it as you wish. You are responsible for how your home is decorated and in ensuring that it is kept in a good condition.

Please note you must not paint radiators, sockets, tiles or kitchen units. If you do, you will be charged a fee to cover the costs of repair.

Building and structural alterations

If you want to make any other alterations or structural changes to your property, please contact us to get our permission first.

This is so we can ensure our properties remain safe and habitable for current and future residents. 

We will consider all reasonable requests for alterations to your home.

As part of our consideration, we may ask one of our experienced surveyors to inspect your home and assess any changes you want to make.

As a condition of giving you permission to make changes, you will need to provide us with all relevant documentation before you can start work.

Depending on what changes you want to make, you may be asked to provide:

  • Public liability insurance
  • Risk and Method Statements (RAMS)
  • Refurbishment /Demolition survey (for asbestos management purposes)
  • Materials specification
  • Gas safe registration
  • NICEC registration

Please note, if the work you want to do is notifiable under Construction Design and Management (CDM) Regulations, it is your responsibility to ensure the Health and Safety Executive is notified. You or your ‘duty holder’ (your contractor) can do this.

This is to ensure any work you are doing is suitably managed and ensures the health and safety of anyone who may be affected by the work, including members of the public.

What do I need permission for?

The list below provides examples of common works that need permission:

  • Replacement of internal and external windows / doors
  • Replacement kitchen / bathrooms
  • Installation of laminate flooring
  • Erection of aerials / satellite dishes
  • Alterations to the layout of a property, for example removing walls

A structural surveyor report would be required before approval would be given to remove a wall.

  • New electrical installations / additions or replacements to existing installation
  • Replacing heating systems / additions or replacements to existing installation
  • Loft conversions
  • Erection of porches
  • Installation of driveways
  • Changes to the layout of your garden
  • Alterations or replacement of existing boundary fences / walls

This is not an exhaustive list. If you have any queries about work you would like to undertake in your property, just get in touch and we’ll let you know if you need permission.

Planning permission or building control

Depending on the type of work you want to do, you may need planning permission or building control from Newport City Council. If this is the case, we will need copies of these documents before you start work.

How to get permission

To submit an alterations request, complete our online form.

If you would like a paper copy of this form, you can request one via or by calling us on 01633 381111.

We have written more detailed guidance to help you.

After we’ve granted permission, you have six months to complete this work.

Once the work is complete

Once the work is complete, we will need copies of any certificates for electrical, gas and window installation work and one of our surveyors will inspect the work to make sure it’s been carried out to an acceptable standard. 

Once we are satisfied the alterations have been carried out to an acceptable standard, we will confirm this with you in writing and keep copies of these changes on your house file for future reference.


Painting decorating4.jpg

Alterations to leasehold and shared ownership homes

If you want to make alterations or structural changes to your property, please contact us first to get our permission.

Find out more