We want Newport to be a place where we're all proud to live. We expect our customers to be good neighbours by doing their best to keep these areas clean, tidy, and safe by not fly-tipping or leaving belongings in communal areas.
Unfortunately, fly-tipping is an eyesore that spoils green spaces and beauty spots across the city. Help us take a stand against it.
Report any incidents you witness confidentially to Newport City Council on 01633 656656 or via their website.
Anyone found fly-tipping could face a £50,000 fine and up to 12 months imprisonment. Newport City Council has powers to issue fines such as Fixed Penalty Notices.
If you have your rubbish removed via a waste carrier and it ends up being fly-tipped, you could be held responsible and fined.
To make sure you’re disposing of items through a correct waste carrier you can do the following:
- Always ask to see a waste carrier’s certificate and do not use waste contractors who won’t show you an original certificate
- Keep a record of the waste carrier’s details and any paperwork they give you in case they fly-tip your waste and it is traced back to you
Here are some of the ways that you can dispose of unwanted items:
- Advertise free of charge on www.freecycle.org or on social media such as Facebook Marketplace.
- Call Raven House Trust on 01633 216855 or other charities such as the British Heart Foundation on 0808 250 0030.
For electrical items
- You can take them to the council’s civic amenity site in Maesglas. You will need to book a slot for this (Newport City Council (itouchvision.com)
- You might be able to get them repaired by ReMake Newport on 01633 846806
- If the items are not re-usable or repairable and they won’t fit in your bin, please don’t leave them on the street and risk a fine.
You can call Newport City Council on 01633 656656 to arrange for large items to be picked up for a small fee. This will be much less than paying a fine!
Fly-tipping on Newport City Homes land
All year round we litter pick and deal with fly-tipping on our land and in communal areas. The disposal of fly-tipping is a cost that could be spent elsewhere within your community.
If your neighbour has left rubbish near their property for a period of time please speak with them to see if they have plans to clear it.
If you do spot waste that has been fly tipped on land that you believe is owned by Newport City Homes, you can report it by filling in an online form and sending a picture if you have it.
We will then investigate who caused it, before removing it. Fly-tipping is a breach of tenancy and could result in further action being taken against the customer/s who are found responsible.