What is sheltered housing?
Sheltered housing is accommodation which is purpose built for persons:
• Over 55 years of age who:
- are able to maintain a high level of independent living
- who do not display signs of dementia or confusion.
• Below 55 years of age with a disability, provided they can maintain a high degree of independent living.
Each sheltered scheme has a Scheme Manager who acts as a 'good neighbour' and maintains regular contact with residents. There are also direct links to the our Emergency Control Centre when the Scheme Manager is not on duty. The Scheme Manager or the Emergency Control Centre will assist residents in the event of an emergency.
What you can expect from living in a scheme
The accommodation is usually set within its own surroundings. There are one and two bedroom flats and bungalows. The flats will be either on the ground floor or first floor, and there are also some studio flats available in some schemes.
Most schemes have communal facilities such as a lounge/TV area, washing facilities and gardens.
Activities vary between schemes but can include bingo, coffee mornings, fish and chip suppers, tinsel and turkey weekends and various other trips. Scheme Managers play an important role in encouraging and facilitating these activities.
Services provided to sheltered scheme residents include:
• a Scheme Manager, available to provide support to residents who live within the scheme or in the local community
• support planning, identifying on-going and short term goals, promoting:
- personal and community safety
- independence and control
- economic progress and financial control
- health and wellbeing
- social activities.
We have sheltered schemes in the following locations:
- Caerleon - Isca Court and Westgate Court
- Duffryn - Aneurin Bevan Court and Woodside
- Gaer - Stelvio Park Court
- Liswerry - Eschol Court and Longmeadow Court
- Malpas - Whittle Court
- Pill - Raglan Court
- Shaftesbury - Shaftesbury Court
- St Julian's - Avalon Court and Church Court.
For more information about each scheme please click on the links below:
Aneurin Bevan Court.pdf Raglan Court.pdf
Avalon Court.pdf Shaftesbury Court.pdf
Church Court.pdf Stevlio Court.pdf
Eschol Court.pdf Westgate Court.pdf
Longmeadow Court.pdf Whittle Court.pdf