Navigate Up
Sign In
x close
Get in touch

General Enquiries

Phone:01633 381111

Write to us...

Newport City Homes
Nexus House, Mission Court,
Newport, NP20 2DW.

Opening hours

Monday - Thursday9.00am - 5.00pm
Friday9.00am - 4.30pm
Saturday & SundayClosed

Give us feedback...

Safety in your home
We want all of our residents to live safely and securely in their homes.
The following information is important and concerns safety in your home.
Gas Safety Advice

We carry out annual gas safety inspections to check that your gas appliances are safe and running efficiently.  We carry out an average of 180 inspections per week. It is imperative for your safety that you allow us access to carry out these vital checks.

Faulty gas appliances or appliances which have not been installed correctly can leak carbon monoxide, which is a poisonous gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause long term health problems and can, in extreme cases, be fatal. 

The symptoms associated with carbon monoxide exposure are similar to flu and include food poisoning, viral infections and tiredness. Because of this, it is common for people to mistake its symptoms for something else.
Other signs that could indicate carbon monoxide poisoning are:

-   your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return

-   other members of your household experience symptoms (including your pets) and they appear at a similar time.

For more information, visit NHS Direct or phone 0845 4647
What should I do if I experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

- Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house

- See your doctor immediately or go to hospital – let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning

- If you think that there is an immediate danger, call the National Gas Emergency Service free on 0800 111 999

- Contact us immediately on (01633) 381111 and tell us that you suspect a carbon monoxide leak.


Download the Winter Gas
Safety Tips factsheet

from Gas Safe Register

You should not sleep in the same room as an open flue gas appliance, where there is a gas fire or gas fire and back boiler unit.

Gas and electric meter cupboards should be kept locked. Keys to the cupboard will be issued when your tenancy agreement is signed.

Gas Cookers - Important Information

If you are a resident and own a gas cooker, we will carry out a visual inspection of this appliance, but please be aware that the maintenance and upkeep of your gas cooker is your responsibility.
To ensure that your cooker is working correctly and safely, you should have it inspected every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. It’s important that you don’t try to fit, fix or move gas appliances, such as your boiler or cooker, yourself. Visit or telephone 0800 408 5500 for information and advice on finding Gas Safe registered engineers.

The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue.
If the flame is lazy yellow or orange, you need to get your cooker checked immediately as it could be leaking carbon monoxide. Call the National Gas Emergency Service free on 0800 111 999.

Smoke Alarms

When we inspect your gas appliances, we also check that your smoke alarms are working correctly.
Remember to test your smoke alarms every week and NEVER remove the batteries.
If you have a hard-wired smoke alarm, please let us know and we can arrange for a battery powered one to be installed in its place. For further information and advice about fire safety, including arranging a free home fire safety check, please visit
Fire Safety Advice
We've put some guidelines together about fire safety advice:
Fire Safety Guidelines.jpg 
If you would like to read more on our Fire Safety Guidlines to can download:

Safe Disposal of Damaged Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

When an energy efficient light bulb breaks, although it’s unlikely to cause harm, it is always best to minimise exposure to mercury and broken glass.

The best thing to do is to vacate the room and ventilate it for at least 15 minutes. Use rubber gloves to clean up, and put all particles and glass fragments in a plastic bag – don’t use a vacuum cleaner. Wipe the area with a damp cloth and add that cloth to the plastic bag.

All local councils have an obligation to make arrangements for the disposal of household hazardous waste at a civic amenity site or household waste recycling centre. The National Household Hazardous Waste Forum runs a website with details of these centres (search for chemaway), alternatively contact Newport City Council on (01633) 656656.

Electrical Safety
- Ceiling Fans

You should not install an electric ceiling fan in your home before seeking advice from us. Ceiling fans can affect the performance of an open flue gas appliance, such as a gas fire, a gas fire and back boiler unit or a free-standing boiler. This could result in dangerous fumes being emitted into your home.  Please call (01633) 381111 for information and advice before you install a ceiling fan.
Water Hygiene 
We've put together some helpful tips to prevent the build-up of stagnant water in your hot and cold water systems over the summer.
If you are leaving your home overnight or going away on holiday, we advise to turn the cold water stop tap off. This controls the water coming into your home and turning it off will safeguard against accidental flooding.
Stop taps are usually fitted in a low level place and are usually near a sink unit, in an entrance hall or ground floor cupboard. Turn them off in a clockwise direction.
When you return home turn the stop tap on in an anti-clockwise direction, run your hot and cold taps for around three minutes to flush the system. If you have a shower, make sure that you let this run for three minutes before getting in.
Taps and Showers
Scale and sediment can build-up around the shower heads and taps. We advise that you remove scale from a shower head at least every three months.
Clean scale and sediment from taps by using a clean cloth and suitable scale remover. Please follow the maker's instructions and take any necessary precautions.
Please find below a copy our advice booklet about abestos safety.