Navigate Up
Sign In
x close
Get in touch

General Enquiries

Phone:01633 381111

Write to us...

Newport City Homes
Nexus House, Mission Court,
Newport, NP20 2DW.

Opening hours

Monday - Thursday9.00am - 5.00pm
Friday9.00am - 4.30pm
Saturday & SundayClosed

Give us feedback...

Making alterations and improvements to your home

Are you planning on making alterations to your home?  If so please fill in our Application Form below.


You must get our permission before you make any alterations to your home, so we can ensure our properties remain safe and habitable for current and future residents.  We will consider all requests to make alterations and will not unreasonably withhold our consent.  A surveyor may need to visit you to inspect your property before we grant consent.


Depending on the scale of the works you may also need to get planning permission or building control approval from the council.  Please send copies of these approvals before you start work.  If you are a leaseholder you may also need to seek approval from your mortgage lender.


What do I need permission for?
·         Replacement of windows / doors
·         Replacement kitchen / bathrooms
·         Erection of aerials / satellite dishes
·         Alterations to the layout of a property eg. taking down walls (NB: a structural surveyor report would be required before approval would be given to remove a wall).
·         New electrical installations
·         Replacing heating systems
·         Loft conversions
·         Erection of porches
·         Installation of driveways
·         Changes to the layout of your garden
This list is not exhaustive.  If in doubt please send us some details and we will let you know whether or not permission is needed.  If any work is carried out without permission you may need to return the property to its original condition, or we will carry out the work and have to charge you.
You have six months following the granting of permission to start the work.  Once the work is complete we ask that you provide us with copies of any other permissions you have received e.g. planning and building control.  We would also like to see copies of any certificates for electrical, gas and window installation work.
Request for permission to make alterations
You are responsible for determining whether any relevant planning permission or building regulation approval is required and are responsible for providing approvals and permissions from the local authority upon completion. This will be at your cost.
Should Newport City Homes incur any costs in relation to professional reports obtained e.g. structural engineer reports, then these costs will be re-charged to you whether permission is granted or not.
You must only use competent tradespeople / contractors who are also fully insured to carry out the work on your behalf.
Any work to heating installations or gas service pipework must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer and certificates provided to Newport City Homes upon completion including the engineers registration number.
Any works to electrical installations must be carried out by an NICEIC registered electrical engineer and certificates provided to Newport City Homes upon completion including their registration number.
Any works to replace windows and doors must be carried out by a Fensa or Certass registered contractor and certification provided to Newport City Homes upon completion including their registration number.
Application Form
Please click here fill in the form - making sure you have read the above information before hand.
You can obtain a paper or electronic copy of this form by calling (01633) 381111 or emailing
Forms not completed via the website can be returned to or one of our offices:
Central Office, Nexus House, Mission Court, Newport, NP20 2DW
East Office, 8-11 Ringland Centre, Newport, NP19 9HG
West Office, 8-11 Bettws Centre, Newport, NP20 7TN